Monday, January 2, 2012

Goals, goals, and more goals...

Goals...I hate them. I hate thinking about them. I hate setting them. Why? Because I'm horrible at following through with them. I come up with grand plans and ambitious landmarks to achieve. I use descriptive words and capture the true emotion behind the "why" for the goal. I even share said goals with people. However, my journey with goals stops there. Therefore, I hate goals.

Goals to me are the reminder of failures...past and future. I know that sounds morose, but hear me out. I have a goal to lose weight and get healthy. The flipside of the positive result is that I failed at maintaining a healthy weight and allowed myself to get unhealthy. Failure. I have a goal to write more often. Flipside: I failed at writing regularly in the first place and therefore have to make a point of focusing on writing in the future. Failure. Why could I not simply be consistent with writing (songs, blogs, books) in the first place? Goal: Run at least three times per week. Translation: I was supposed to run a 5K and a half marathon this past year and did not follow through. Failure. The list could go on and on but I prefer to not depress myself.

Again, I know this post seems like I am deep in the throes of depression. However, I am not. I am simply realizing that my relationship with goal setting is unhealthy. My perspective needs some adjustment. I need some successes to celebrate. Therefore, my goal for this year is to live day by day. Today I will spend time in the word, eat healthy, balanced meals, avoid soda and sweets, enjoy activity of some sort, and write, even if it is just a small journal entry. Today I accomplished most of those things and tomorrow is a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment